[3830] ARRLDX CW KG4V(N1EN) SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KG4V(N1EN) SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 01:08:05 +0000
ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KG4V
Operator(s): N1EN
Station: N1EN

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

  160:   27    21
   80:  121    53
   40:  292    75
   20:  523    92
   15:  495    93
   10:   69    40
-------------------
Total: 1527   374  Total Score = 1,707,684

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Probably the simplest way to describe this running is to compare last year's Q
count to this year's (hopefully this doesn't get mangled):

        2015        2016
Band  QSO/Mult    QSO/Mult
160     9/  9      27/ 21
 80   243/ 66     121/ 53
 40   380/ 78     292/ 75
 20   568/ 97     523/ 92
 15   494/ 98     495/ 93
 10   388/ 91      69/ 40
ALL  2082/439    1527/374

Between the phenomenal conditions last year versus the diminished SFI, and high
A and K values heading into this weekend, I expected my score to be down...and
set goals accordingly....but I was a little surprised at what actually
happened.

The reduced activity on 10m wasn't a surprise.  15 was in better shape than I
expected. 20 closed to Europe early, but still was able to produce (perhaps
because less activity meant I couldn't get by with click-and-pounce; I actually
needed to spend time running).

40 was disappointing, closing early on Friday and Saturday nights, and the
ionosphere seemed to eat signals trying to cross the Atlantic on 80 and 160.
40 and 80 seemed to be in better shape for the last few hours of the test...but
local industrial noise that normally kills 40 and 80 for me for a few hours most
days during the week made an unexpected and unwanted appearance Sunday evening,
spoiling the feeding frenzy at the end for me.

I spent more time on 160 than I normally do in the big contests.  I can't say
whether that's the result of having a better antenna this year, or a reflection
of how lousy rate on 40 and 80 was...but the extra time shaking contacts loose
where ever I could lead to there being 15 stations in my log on all 6 contest
bands.

At least conditions were sufficient to make lots of Q's and have fun.  That's
what's important.

P.S., for a few folks who might be wondering: only 2x2 KG4 calls are Guantanamo
bay.  2x1 and 2x3 KG4 calls are US.

Station:
Elecraft K3×2
Hexbeam @ 7m