[3830] ARRL 10 N1EU SO Mixed Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N1EU SO Mixed Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 00:08:40 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N1EU
Operator(s): N1EU
Station: N1EU

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited HP
QTH: Albany NY
Operating Time (hrs): 10:30

   CW:  321    90
  SSB:  154    59
-------------------
Total:  475   149  Total Score = 237,208

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Just having fun over the weekend playing with new-to-me K3s/P3 and Flex 6500.
Both radios acquitted themselves very well.  I was already familiar with the
K3, and the K3s rx seems a tad cleaner and the radio is just a smooth,
responsive contesting machine.  The P3 is a nice toy, not indispensable, but
always nice to have a band display.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Flex 6500 and very impressed with the level
of engineering behind this direct sampling radio.  Its receiver stands out with
its low level of "hash" and absolutely superb rx audio.  The DAX
digital audio virtual soundcard connection worked flawlessly with N1MM Logger+
and made voice-keying a snap.  The SmartSDR waterfall trace is hands-down the
best looking color waterfall I've seen and never needs to be tweaked.  I'm
hoping Flex can improve in these areas going forward (I'm being very picky
here, but this radio has SO much potential):
1. T/R pop in rx audio on trailing edge of keyed cw message
2. delayed T/R rx recovery with slow/med AGC (as if AGC was recovering from
sidetone)
3. add provision for reverse cw mode
4. provide for custom filter presets
5. provide for filter slope adjustment

Either radio was feeding an Acom 2000A into a 3-el SteppIR up 60ft

Thanks for the q's and sorry for the lower power callers that I couldn't pull
out.

73, Barry N1EU