[3830] CQWW SSB VP9I(@VP9GE) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bob@wa1z.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VP9I(@VP9GE) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 13:07:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VP9I
Operator(s): W6PH WA1Z
Station: VP9GE

Class: M/S LP
QTH: VP9

  160:  187     7       10
   80:  504    15       61
   40: 1119    25       93
   20: 1192    32      114
   15: 1230    31      105
   10:  539    25       93
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Station:
Icom IC-7000, Elecraft K3
160M Dipole
80M Dipole
40M Dipole
20-10M Cushcraft A4S fed through INRAD triplexer

Highlight:
- Pileups were amazing when we got spotted

Lowlight:
- Quite often, extremely low rates until we got spotted.  A _lot_ of unanswered
CQs on very open bands.

Kurt and I did a M/S Low Power effort from VP9GE's QTH in 2013 CQWW CW and it
was very interesting to contrast that experience with this weekend's SSB
effort.  On that CW weekend, we felt _loud_.  That wasn't the case this
weekend.  Of course, it's impossible to really compare the two contests.  This
weekend, operating the Mult station was a challenge.  There were times that a
strong European would CQ in our face.  On the other hand, we worked VU2 on 20m,
Reunion on three bands, and VK6 via LP.  None were very strong.

It was hard to keep the Run station's rate up mid-mornings, especially on
Sunday morning.  We were likely getting buried in the flurry of activity in EU
and NA - no amount of moving around to find a "clear enough"
frequency worked.  When that happened, we had success producing a higher rate
by S&Ping on the run station than if we were to just dig in our heels on a
run frequency.

The true highlight of the weekend was operating the contest with a good friend
and having a great time.  Mission accomplished.

As always, many thanks to our wonderful host, Ed, VP9GE.  Station details at
http://www.vp9ge.com

Thanks for all the QSOs!

73,
Bob VP9/WA1Z