[3830] ARRL FD N1CC 1E QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N1CC 1E QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 19:15:43 +0000
                    ARRL Field Day

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: 1E QRP
QTH: North Texas

  160:    0      0      0
   80:    6      0      0
   40:   55      5      2
   20:  116     63      9
   15:   69     68      0
   10:   58    103      0
    6:    2     13      0
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  295    263     11  Total Score = 4,430

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecaft K3/100 at 5 Watts output.  Force 12 C3 @64', 3L 6M Yagi @10', 80/40
Meter Fan Dipole at 50'. WriteLog and MMTTY for operation and logging.

In the past few years I have used my NEV-48 Electric cart with a 48Vdc-120Vac
Inverter.  Well, Saturday morning discovered that the Inverter was not working
any more.  So, alternate plan.  Instead of running 100W with lots of battery
reserve, had to go to the boat's Marine Deep Cycle 12Vdc for the rig... that
would allow more time if I run 5 Watts!  So I did.  At the end of my time after
15 hours of operation I still had about 20 % of the Battery charge left!

Outcome is about 50% fewer contacts than last year with 100W, however, bigger
points because running 5W give you a BIG multiplier for all contacts!  As
expected, 80-40 operation was impacted by the weaker signal... however often I
could get nice runs going on CW or SSB on 20, 15 and 10.

Missed a few folks.  K5CM in OK never could hear me...KL7AA was covered by tons
of callers.  On the other hand VE8AAA was super easy, as was KH6, KP2, KP4 -- go
figure.  Heard Connecticut ONE time, W1AW on RTTY on 15 ... he was calling CQ
and not answering anyone.  Kept checking that for about an hour before he
either gave up or the band changed too much to hear him.

One station, W4OLB was 4A on Saturday and changed to 5A on Sunday, I tried to
explain they could not do that.  Have the audio tape if HQ needs it.  At the
end of my time on the air had an interloper pretending to be W8MAA, then N4GFD
same voice and strength, he would call then not come back ... kept calling then
would come back with another call ... that's on the audio recording if FCC needs
it to pursue bootlegger operations.

About the audio recording... since the cheating scandal this year and at least
one contest sponsor adding the requirement for top stations to be able to send
a full recording of their station during the contest, I found an inexpensive
way to do it, not using your PC to do the work... under $100, anyone interested
drop me a line.  I hope the ARRL joins CQ in requiring top scorers in any
category to have that available to submit if requested.

On the DQ consideration list for lousy signal:  KI8R for 598K 4 KHz wide CW
signal on 20M first hour.  W3AO for Sunday 1430 UTC SSB operation on 28.481
with a 6.5 kHz wide signal - stronger on the low side (No other W3AO signals
violated any operating practices that I noticed - 1 out of 18 isn't that bad --
I guess).  These are also on my audio recordings.

This was good fun, and the opening on 6M Sunday morning added some adventure!
That was followed by 140 contacts CW/SSB on 10M probably using the same Es
cloud that was working earlier on 6M... My hourly rate hit 110 QPH - ARP no
less!