[3830] WPX CW W7VO SO(A)SB40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w7vo@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W7VO SO(A)SB40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 02:04:04 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: W7VO
Operator(s): W7VO
Station: W7VO

Class: SO(A)SB40 LP
QTH: OR

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Murphy really got me on this one. I just operated this test for a very short
while on Saturday night, and early Sunday morning until K5ZM arrived to take
over the station for his "real" SOSB (15) effort as AA7CR. As not to
disturb the 15 meter set-up (FT-2000/ AL-1500), I used my backup transceiver at
another operating position (FT-1000D, set to 100W)for the first time in a
contest.

Some murphy issues:

1.)The cable I bought off E-Bay for the CAT control of the FT1000D did not
work.

2.)The serial to USB adapter cable to use with the above cable would not work
with my Windows 7 laptop computer (no available drivers), so I had to research
the internet to find a work-around, that did not work either.... As soon as the
USB cable was connected, the FT-1000D would go into TX mode. Used
"7000" for all N1MM log entries. Good enough!

2.) I could not get the MFJ 464 Keyer to properly send serial numbers so I
spent at least two hours figuring out how to make it work. The user manual was
not clear at all on this. Turns out you have to key in "ur 599 /n"
into the memory position for the exchange, then it magically worked....

3.) The FT-1000D will not accept a two pin key connector, it must be a three
(stereo, or you just get a solid dah all the time). Guess what I did not have.
After much experimentation I found out that I just stick the cable in part way
it would work. That is, until it worked its way loose.....

Still, once the kinks were out I still had a great deal of fun, and worked a
few new ones on 40 CW for me.

Guess I have more work to do on the second station for CW before the next
test.....

73;

Mike, W7VO