[3830] ARRL 10 N1CC SO Mixed QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimlaporta@jlaporta.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N1CC SO Mixed QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 04:07:35 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N1CC
Operator(s): N1CC
Station: N1CC

Class: SO Mixed QRP
QTH: Texas

   CW:  335    90
  SSB:  336    76
-------------------
Total:  671   166  Total Score = 333,992

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Elecraft K3/100 @ 5W output.  Antenna Force 12 C3 at 64' fed with 300+ feet of
LMR-400, line loss about 40% -- so 3W got to the antenna.

Last year running QRP was an experiment, I seem to have come in second in the
USA and third in the world for the QRP Mixed unassisted category.  It was fun,
with very good conditions.  The bug bit, and I tried QRP again!

With 4 fewer hours of operation, skipping completely the night time hours on 10
Meters, initially not hearing any stations, not using any assistance I presumed
the bands shut down at 0130Z each night.  Looking at the aftermath, I missed a
good deal of time and some possible short skip openings that would have
enhanced my total multipliers.  Operating strategy to think about.

This year's average rate of 37.7 QPH compared to last year at 34.5 QPH suggests
that I would have slightly improved, even with the lower conditions,
year-to-year for the same number of hours.

I was able to sustain long runs of 60 QPH high in the phone and CW bands ...
until someone running more power moved in and disrupted those runs.  While not
exactly unsportsmanlike, zero-beating a CW signal so you don't hear the tone is
on the edge of being just that, somewhat often happening.  While 60 QPH is
nothing to a MM or MS running 1.5 kW, it is significant to a single op running
QRP.

Saturday morning, I found a KL7 running on SSB.  I started calling him, and a
7-Land big gun started calling CQ on top of him.  I know the folks at that
multi may not care for a poor reputation, but they told the KL7 he was
interfering with them and tried to disrupt my contact with the KL7.  I did get
the contact, and I never heard that KL7 again ... I think he pulled the big
switch and quit.  The 7-Land guy who did that should apologize to both the KL7
and to me ... yeah, I know, this guy probably cheated in high school sports
too.  I heard the 7-Land big gun all weekend, and did not answer him or call
him ... I am sure he might understand why.

Mostly good operators this weekend, including some sharp Italian stations for
once.  The JA's were efficient and good to work as usual.