[3830] ARRL 10 W1TJL SO SSB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1tjl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W1TJL SO SSB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 01:26:03 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL
Station: W1TJL

Class: SO SSB LP
QTH: FN32na
Operating Time (hrs): 23.33

   CW:
  SSB:  964   139
-------------------
Total:  964   139  Total Score = 267,714

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

10 Meters!  What a combination of great propagation and horrible propagation…
Like the flip of a switch at night.  Working stations, hearing DX and distant
stations then CLICK!, ground wave.

But it’s still my favorite contest.

Decided to do low power this year (decided because both my amps are “under
the weather”) so it was different. I was unassisted, low power and I wasn’t
ALWAYS able to break the pileups right away.  Plus it was so windy up here I
opted to keep the tower NOT fully extended.  It was at about 60 ft. most of the
time which I could tell hurt a bit especially very early mornings and late
evenings when propagation was waxing and waning.  But the Force on 10 Meters
seemed to work great…  A bit too much directivity �" had to tweak the
direction more than I like.  I missed the 2 element Quad that got destroyed
this year.  That one was quite broad and you didn’t have to turn it much.

Used N1MMLogger + and it was flawless.  Not one hiccup.  If you haven’t
switched yet, it’s time…  As usual the FT5000 showed how good a radio it is
by such a great, selective receiver.  NC1I and a couple of other locals were 60
over and I didn’t hear them at all once I was 5kc away.

Busy weekend, The Christmas tree was cut and put up, lots of church activities,
honey-do list so I only operated 23 plus hours.  I’m sure it hurt the score as
Sunday I missed a 2 hour+ piece of prime morning (open to Europe) time.  Such is
life…

Final score of 267,714 with 139 mults.  Not sure if that is good or bad but
we’ll see…

On to the next contest!

73, Tom W1TJL