[3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 13:45:02 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

  160:    0

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Activity patterns this year were weird.  The high bands played fairly
well at the beginning which seemed to make the low bands less
productive.  The end result was less running and more tuning which
made the overall experience more tedious.  I really need to redesign
my station for proper SO2R.

Also, the past couple of years have spoiled me with the early logging
of the AK, NT, PR, and VI multipliers.  This year, I was not so lucky
and after the first night, the only "hard" multiplier in the log was
NL.  Even SC, NE, WV, SK, and NNY were hiding.  Sunday morning NE
appeared on 80 and SC and WV finally appeared on 40.  Next on 20
meters I found KL7RA, VE5SF, and KP2RUM all in a row.  Somewhat later
I found NP3Z on 10 meters.  That left NNY and NT.

My QSO total for the first evening was slightly down from the peak
years of 2011 and 2013.  The lack of 40 and 80 meter runs were clearly
evident.  By nap time Saturday night, I was off by about 30 contacts,
which doesn't sound like much but that's an hour's worth on Sunday.
After a very sluggish Sunday morning and afternoon and a 100 QSO
deficit, rates picked up again around 2300Z.  40 meters chugged along
for a couple of hours which brought the QSO total back in line with
previous years, although I could not completely make up the deficit.
I did find NNY on 80 meters in the last hour.

Overall, I felt like quitting for a large part of Sunday.  The
pronounced burst at the end helped to dispel the bad feelings, but I
am even more resolved to getting SO2R going to make Sunday less
boring.

I called CQ for a minute on 160 during the last hour but didn't get
any answers.

Equipment: K3, P3, variably noisy 8410, tribander, big verticals.