[3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimkb3aft@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KO9A SO 3B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 01:20:02 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  339   110  Total Score = 41,910

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

It's always fun to fire up the station and see what's possible from the pop gun
here and this year was no different.  This year's score is almost identical to
last year's final tally.  Down 34 points, 10Qs, but up 3 mults this year
compared to 2013...literally within 1 QSO of beating last year's score!

The first 6 hours were spent working locals with no enhancement to speak of on
any band.  MANY(!) rovers were out in force to help keep things interesting.
The first non-local into the log was actually on 2m this year with W4IY banging
into the Chicago area for hours thanks to a nice tropo opening.  K5GDX was
worked about 30 minutes later on 6m as marginal Es began to set in towards W5
and later W0/W7 Saturday evening.

Very pleased to log DM38 for FFMA #400.  Hitting 400+ FFMA grids worked has
been a goal for the past couple of years here.  It's been a blast seeing what
the little station is capable of and should be interesting to see how close to
488 we can from this QTH.

Early AM meteors seemed pretty good with W0W super loud with many pings on both
6m and 2m.  W3CCX also had great pings on 6m.  By mid-Sunday AM I was wishing I
had made more meteor skeds but I must admit I enjoyed the couple of extra hours
sleep!  K1WHS and K1TOL were easily worked via scatter.

Sunday brought the best Es of the weekend and two more all-time new grids
worked (DM77, DM86).  The Es opening was pretty good to W5 but still relatively
marginal to W4 and W0, with no Es to speak of to W1/W2/W3.

Great to hear and work a lot of the old HF contest gang like K1TO, WB9Z, N5RZ,
K5NZ, WE9V, K5YAA, N3LL, etc.  One of these days I'll have to kluge together
something for HF :)

Special thanks to all of the rovers, especially those visiting rare grids and
the locals who braved both high winds and gas prices!

73

Jim KO9A

Rig: Kenwood TS-2000X
Ant: CLP5130-1 @ 30'