[3830] CQWW CW YU1WC SOSB(A)/40 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vljubojevic@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW YU1WC SOSB(A)/40 QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 22:45:31 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: YU1WC
Operator(s): YU1WC
Station: YU1WC

Class: SOSB(A)/40 QRP
QTH: Belgrade
Operating Time (hrs): 12:44

   40:  261    20       71
------------------------------

Since December 2012 my rig was sitting and collecting dust, I missed the WPX
contest and was going to miss the CQWW as well. But in the last moment I
decided to give it a try so on Friday the antenna was checked, and all the
software quickly installed on the new shack computer. I could not tune the
antenna properly so I had to use an antenna tuner in the shack, wandering if my
qrp signal will be as good as in previous years.

Being untrained, tired and still two zones (Zone 1 and Zone 6) short of my QRP
7 MHz WAZ, I decided to spend this contest working sporadically, having fun and
hunting for the missing zones and some new dxcc. As the contest started, I was
happy to know that, even detuned, the antenna radiates well and I was working
NA and the Caribes with ease.

On Saturday evening heard for the first time ever a signal from Zone 1, a
fluttery KL7RA breaking the pileup and working TF3SG. Late on Sunday morning I
spent some time calling in vain XE2S, and it looked like Zone 6 and 1 will
continue to be a dream. Well, I had no other chance to try to work XE, but on
Sunday evening KL7RA was again on 40 meters, fluttery and not busy. I kept
calling and some minutes later they got my call, so Zone 1 is now finally in
the log!

Besides working Alaska, I will remember this CQWW by the very strong signal of
CE1/K7CA, heard several times. I spent quite some time calling him without
success. The strange thing is that there were just few European callers. Also,
this is the first time in a couple of years without a signal from NH2T. In
previous years, Dave's strong signal and good receiving capabilities was the
highlight of every mayor contest.

As always, thanks to all with good ears, big antennas and beverages to dig out
my qrp signal. Thanks to the people behind the Genesis radio project, namely
Tasa YU1LM, Goran YT7PWR and Nick VK1AA.

73 de Fric YU1WC

Rig: Genesis G40, 5W, SDR QRP monobander kit
Antenna: 10 m high vertical with 2 elevated radials, @ 35 m high rooftop, on a
hilltop
Software: GSDR & N1MM