[3830] CQWW SSB W4GV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4gv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W4GV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 00:43:37 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4GV
Operator(s): W4GV
Station: W4GV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lynn Haven, FL

  160:    4     2        2
   80:   29     8       22
   40:   92    15       46
   20:  164    23       70
   15:  229    27       70
   10:  291    23       70
------------------------------

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

CQWW Phone was my first somewhat serious effort last year after a long hiatus
from contesting beginning in the mid-70's.  I did a lot better this year -
guess the practice is paying off. Tried several times to get runs going but it
just wasn't happening so 99+% of contacts were S&P.  Looking forward to see
if my DXCC country/band totals increase a bit.  A highlight was working K1TO
(Dan) at A71BX in Quatar less than two weeks after he visited me in the FL
Panhandle.

Bands were in great shape and stayed open into the night and opened early in
the AM.  Best band conditions for any contest I've participated in for the last
year.

Was really getting frustrated with my noise problem, especially on 20 meters.
Finally had enough of it Sunday afternoon and decided to do a little sleuthing
in my own house.  Lo and behold, the fifth circuit breaker I turned off
resulted in 20 meter noise from going from S-8 down to S1 or 2.  15 and 10
meters surprised me with how quiet they were - I had to find signals just to
make sure the RX hadn't given up the ghost.  Should have done it a long time
ago but kept putting it off.  20M is a usable band at this house now.  Only two
things operating on the circuit were a pest (bugs and/or rodents) repeller
acoustic noise generator and an old double door refrigerator - both items in
the garage.  I just left the CB off and left 4 notes around the house reminding
me to turn the CB back on before bed tonight.  Haven't narrowed it down yet but
you can bet I will before the next contest or DX search.  Getting rid of the
QRN has two benefits - I will be able to hear the weak ones and I'll be more
more relaxed. - both should contribute to better contest efforts.

Station - FT-1000D, Acom 1500 amp, Ameritron ATR-15 Tuner, MFJ-434 Voice Keyer,
Hel Pro-Set Elite, Mosley Pro-67B, two 80 meter dipoles, Writelog Ver 11.13J.

Thanks for the Q's and the fun!

73
Walt  W4GV