[3830] PaQP KD8MQ Multi-Op Port LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kd8mq1@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] PaQP KD8MQ Multi-Op Port LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 02:11:07 +0000
                    Pennsylvania QSO Party

Call: KD8MQ
Operator(s): KD8MQ WI8T KD8KMQ
Station: KD8MQ

Class: Multi-Op Port LP
QTH: JEF

  160:    0      0      0         0
   80:   26     62      0         0
   40:   27    168      0         0
   20:    5      7      0         0
   15:    0      0      0         0
   10:    0      0      0         0
    6:    0      0      0         0
    2:    0      0      0         0
---------------------------------------
Total:   58    237      0         0  Mults = 88  Total Score = 32,664

This year, we came up short on counties. We missed CRN, FRA, INN, NUM. We packed
it up about 2 PM, so we could get things packed up before the predicted rain
showed up.
No Six meter activity was heard from our location, and technical issues forced
abandonment of RTTY, & PSK.

We were running my new FT-950 at Sigel, PA. Logging was done by N1MM. The level
of integration between the rig, and the computer was higher than in years past.
We had several issues with the system.

a)The CAT interface would lag on updating the frequency from the rig to the
computer. As a result, callsigns that we typed into N1MM would disappear, since
the frequency was still moving.
b)After completing a CW Q, we would get an error message which would imply that
N1MM was trying to send a CW message. This even happened when the CW interface
was not configured. (We cured this by doing a complete new install, and
importing our QSOs.)
c) the computer stopped recognizing the signaLink USB
d) Occasionally, a wave file would try to send on completion of a voice QSO.
I’ve never configured the DVK.

Most of Sunday’s QSOs were worked with the CAT interface disconnected. I’m
still scratching my head as to the cause, but I’m inclined to blame USB port
issues with my laptop. Possible heat issues may have entered into it as well.