[3830] ArQP K5YAA/M Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ArQP K5YAA/M Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 04:38:42 +0000
                    Arkansas QSO Party

Call: K5YAA/M
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Rover HP
QTH: 15 Counties

   80:   27      0      0
   40:  397     92      0
   20:  305     38      0
   15:   54     14      0
   10:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  783    144      0  Mults = 59  Total Score = 100,890

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

First - a short story about the little critter that buzzed in front of me on the
road to Stone County.  He was a woodchuck of some sort I think.  Too large to be
a rat and too small to be a beaver.  He had to go to the other side of the road
I guess.  15 feet in front of me he made a dash with all four feet spinnin'.  I
was traveling about 60 MPH and he made it across before I moved 5 feet!  I think
I saw smoke coming from the asphalt he moved so fast.  I suspect he had little
capability to judge traffic so he just hauled 'em across as fast as he could
with the hopes of not getting squashed.  That little animal kept me chuckling
most of the day.  He was the only animal that crossed my path in Arkansas which
surprises me as the woods were plentiful in the hills. Arkansas is a beautiful
state.

I drove through a town named Bird Town - looked around and didn't see one
feathered creature.  Saw some individuals that needed feathers but not one bird
in Bird Town.

Now for the rest of the story.  The bands were good and 15 was open to Europe
and Japan plus stateside for much of the day.  N6MU kept hollerin at me to go
to 15 so I did and we had many QSOs there including SSB.  OM2VL showed up down
there and we had SSB QSOs also.  What a signal that guy has.  He worked me on
40 SSB and CW sounding like a local.  20 was iffy much of the day.  I made more
Qs on 40 meters than 20. Looked at 10 once and it was quiet as a mouse or maybe
a fast woodchuck...

Thanks to all for the QSOs.  The hills kept me from making all 20 counties I
had listed.  I made 15 of them and the generator ran out of gas in the last 5
minutes in Conway county.  I'm sure some ops wondered where my signal went
those last few minutes.  OM2VL worked me on 40 without my high power - kudos to
his ears.

A few QSO counts with some stations that show up in my log.  N6MU ( Thanks John
for your friendship and the 43 QSOs ). OM2VL - Laci is in the log 26 times.
WA2VYA 23, WA6KHK 22, K7INA 12, VE5KS 9, W1END ( E