[3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 08:06:25 -0700
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   15: 1747    96
Total: 1747    96  Total Score = 433,875

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Prior to a couple of weeks ago I had never done summer contesting and found them
very different from the winter events. Doing the WPX and WWSA the two previous
weekends when cndx were pretty poor persuaded me that much time could be better
spent elsewhere so I decided upon a casual approach and see how it went.

In the beginning it was pretty much as expected. Just as Carrib stns rely on NA
for rate so it is from here that we need EU, and, just like the weekends before,
Eu wasn't there, apart from sporadic 'E' here and there. With the exception of
JA all other dx was weak and mults hard to find. Because I wasn't 'in it to win
it' I found it pretty boring running JA for 1 point per contact, so I wrapped up
around mid-day and got back in the chair around 7.00pm. This was sounding much
better, EU was back so good runs enjoyed for a few hours, NA openings now and
then but weakly. I was just starting to think about hitting the sack when there
was a proper opening to USA with strong signals, from all areas for a good
hour.

Second day was much better, a bit slow around the middle daytime hours but
enjoyable. NA appeared early evening with strong signals, long runs to both
east and west coast in turn although 8's, 9's  and 0's pretty much missed out .
Some super signals from the west coast and VE7 boys, particularly VE7ACN. The
opening went on and on to the end of the contest when I had anticipated band
closure at local midnight whereas there were 3 hours more fun. I was reminded
of that Alan Sherman song of some years ago, 'Hello Mother, hello Father' where
the boy at summer camp writes home with a long list of complaints and wants to
go home, when, suddenly, he says &quot; wait a minute, it's stopped raining,
guys are swimming, guys are sailing, gee that's better, mother, father, kindly
disregard this letter&quot;

Highlights were being called by XE and KL7, zones I never manage to work in
major contests, a VE5, very rare for me and finally, hallelujah, a VE4, now I
do know that they exist!

  Someone certainly showered magic dust over Japan, they were here, there and
everywhere, day and night no matter what time of day or night, no matter where
I was pointing the beam, they were strong, strong, strong.

Some interesting statistics possible after making getting  some 1750 q's on one
band. The oldest stn worked was 96, with three others in the 90's. The youngest
was just 10 years old. West coast hams are younger than east coast and Eu hams
are older than USA hams. JA came out youngest of major nations and whilst there
were perhaps just a dozen qso's with SA only one was over 50years of age.

Eqp't TS570 + Acom 1010 - 500w. 3 Ele Triband @ 15m. Logging with 'SD'

73  Brian    C4Z / 5B4AIZ