[3830] WPX CW WA5RML SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ameasday@flash.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WA5RML SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 09:45:32 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WA5RML
Operator(s): WA5RML
Station: WA5RML

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

Flex 1500 @5 watts to G5RV (40M) and Cushcraft MA5V vertical (20M-10M); Idiom
Press CMOS-4 keyer and Vibroplex Square Racer Deluxe paddles.

Almost passed on this one...but finally jumped in on Sunday - 5.5 hrs.   I
really need to work on: (1) my &quot;time in the chair&quot;! and (2) start
from the beginning of the contest!

How were conditions?  I'm not sure - plenty of signals, but not as much DX as
in prior contests.  The real benchmark was an increase in &quot;repeats&quot;.
When conditions are good, I get very few repeat requests - even at my QRP
levels.

My apologies to some of the operators...At various times, it seemed that my
computer would slow down and the CW timing (my keying to Flex 1500 to PC and
back to Flex 1500) would get slightly out of sync and I really couldn't tell if
it was my fist (the usual cause!) or the radio.  However, if I turned the
side-tone on the keyer on, I could send fine.  This would pass in a short time
and I'd turn the external sidetone off.  This was not strictly the 1500 fault -
something was running in the background on my laptop and chewing up lots of
time.

Having said that, I am very pleased with the 1500! This was my 2nd contest with
it and it acquitted itself very well.  Great audio with no &quot;fatigue&quot;,
low noise when using the gain correctly....I'm also getting addicted to having
a panadapter!

Most important were the operators who made the significant effort to dig my
signal out of the noise and QRM.  Given the band conditions for this contest,
that took more effort on their part this time.

BTW - if you made a contact with me, please note that 95% of the time, that
meant that you had an excellent received signal here in North Texas!

Thanks to all and 73,
Andy - WA5RML