[3830] ARRLDX CW HI/K8MR SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jimk8mr@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW HI/K8MR SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 16:29:18 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: HI/K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: HI/K8MR

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Punta Cana
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

  160:    0     0
   80:   48    22
   40:   56    28
   20:  110    37
   15:  233    43
   10:  168    42
-------------------
Total:  615   172  Total Score = 317,340

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I took the KX3 on our winter vacation, along with Jim, W8WTS and respective
XYL's. Operating time was shared with HI/W8WTS. Time during the contest was
also spent being nice to my wife.

We operated from two separate locations at the resort in Punta Cana: from the
balcony of our fourth floor room, using 80 and 40 quarter wave wires (connected
together) with a couple of quarter wave counterpoises; and from the beach (on 15
and 10 meters)with a 10 foot piece of wire hung on the underside of a beach
shelter. My best rate was from the later location, an hour+ on 15 meters of
140/hr sending all by hand and logging on paper. Both days the beach operating
time ended abruptly when the KX3 batteries gave out.

At many times, especially on the low bands, the EU signals were a lot louder
than the stateside signals. Even RU1A, not the loudest EU, was pushing S9 on 80
meters Friday evening, louder than nearly any stateside signal. Contest rates
were pretty low when that propagation was happening.

Not the biggest score, but a huge amount of fun was had!

73  -  Jim   K8MR

Back home in Ohio