[3830] RTTY Roundup AE6Y M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrewfaber@ymail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AE6Y M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 17:19:31 -0800
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: AE6Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: AE6Y

Class: M/S HP
QTH: CA

   40:    5
Total:  203  State/Prov = 1  Countries = 1  Total Score = 1

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Now that was interesting -- my first ever RTTY contest.  I have no RTTY
software, and in the past I have occasionally tried to help out a buddy by
using my K3 to send RTTY from the CW key (which it can do, but it's laborious).
 However, my recently acquired used IC-7600 is a bit more convenient to use on
RTTY, needing just a $9 USB keyboard.  I started out by loading a DE msg in the
radio's memories and an exchange message and fooled around calling guys for a
while, while I got used to actually tuning in RTTY signals and understanding
what the messages should contain.
  Every call I worked I would log in CQPWIN, just to have a contest log, but
all the sending was done from the keyboard and the radio.  After a while it
occurred to me that with a lot of gymnastic switching between two keyboards I
could actually run guys with this setup.  So I programmed a CQ message, a run
exchange message and a TU message, and hesitantly started calling CQ.  It was
really fun, particularly on 80m Saturday night.  It took a while to really get
in the rhythm, so apologies to anyone I QLF'd.  I have no idea how many states
and provinces I worked, but did contact 28 countries outside of W/VE.
  73, Andy AE6Y