[3830] ARRL 160 CE1/K7CA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7ca@infowest.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 CE1/K7CA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 07:52:54 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: CE1/K7CA
Operator(s): CE1/K7CA
Station: CE1/K7CA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Huasco

Total:  QSOs = 691  Sections = 79  Countries = 0  Total Score = 105,544

Conditions from N. Chile were better this year. Of course we always have the
summer QRN but it seemed that propagation was good. It usually takes more than
an hour after sunset to be able to call cq and get replies but this year I was
able to begin a little before sunset.  I heard PJ2T about an hour before sunset
and was so surprised at his signal that I called him and of couse he reminded me
that we can't work DX. Sorry Jeff. There were many stations that I could hear
buried in the qrn and if I couldn't get at least one letter I just continued
cqing. Many times when multiple stations were calling I would get one letter
from each of several stations through the constant static crashes.  Any of you
who operated the summer Stew Perry contest know what it is like here in summer.
 Except that all of the stations you are working are located much farther away.
Many qsos were eked out one letter at a time over several minutes. There were
deep fades which took a q5 station so far into the noise that I couldn't even
tell they were there for several minutes. I was able to work more stations the
first night than I did in both nights last year. I know there were many
stations that I was just not able to copy. For those who really need CE and
can't seem to be heard, the QRN dies down to a dull roar about an hour before
my sunrise which is about 0930z so that last hour before sunrise is the best
time to call. I try to stay in the DX window because I know from operating out
West in Utah and Nevada that weak DX stations usually get covered up anywhere
else in the band.  Saturday night was interesting in that there was a real nice
European opening that lasted about 4 hours but of course we can't work them for
credit from here.  However, that didn't stop the EU pileups that made it a bit
difficult to hear the USA stations.  So I tried to work several of them when no
US stations were heard.  Several were calling a bit off frequency so as not to
qrm the contest stations which was nice.  I wish that opening would wait for
the Stew Perry or CQ160 contest when they can be worked for credit. Hope to see
you all next week in the ARRL 10m contest and of course in the Stew Perry and
CQ160 contests.
Equipment:
K3, Ten-Tec Titan amp, 43' top loaded vertical with 45 radials
500' beverage, BS/EF RX array