[3830] CQWW CW M6W(G0DEZ) SOSB(A)/20 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dez.zc4dw@virgin.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW M6W(G0DEZ) SOSB(A)/20 LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 13:07:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: M6W
Operator(s): G0DEZ
Station: G4EHT

Class: SOSB(A)/20 LP
QTH: IO92cq

   20: 1194    34      109
------------------------------
Total: 1194    34      109  Total Score = 298,012

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

Got my strategy all wrong in this one...

Checked 20m before midnight and conditions seemed dire, think the CME on Friday
evening knocked the stuffing out of the band.

Don't get much contest action these days with 3 young children. The XYL
strictly limits me to 2 or 3 contests per year. Consequently when I do get
chance to play radio, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop!

And so, the predictions suggested I ought to sleep first and begin around 0500z
but keen to make the most of my weekend I foolishly began at midnight and
heard/worked nothing during that first hour.

However, at 0100z I was almost ready to turn off when I made my first contact
and 20m opened through the night. The first JA was worked at 0342z and I can't
remember the last time I worked multiple JA's through the night on 20m.

Unfortunately though, by 0630z I was shattered and forced to taken an
unscheduled sleep break missing my sunrise and a vital opening around breakfast
time.

I operated mostly S&P with the occasional short runs and was hoping for more
North Americans to come down to 20 each afternoon but think they were enjoying
10 & 15 too much. 20m never sounded crowded.

I didn't work as many mults as hoped for but there were a few highlights such
as
a 3 minute spell when I logged 3 double-mults in a row, HS0ZGQ, KH6MB and
VU2PTT. Thanks guys.

Others were, getting called by KL7, and cracking several pile-ups with low
power and no beam.

5 or 6 new band slots too, so can't complain.

FT-1000MP, 100W
HF9-V Butternut vertical