[3830] CQWW SSB 9V1YC M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, teleniuslowe@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB 9V1YC M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 19:30:35 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 9V1YC
Operator(s): 9V1YC, 9V1BH, 9M6DXX
Station: 9V1YC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Singapore

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   33    10       18
   40:  501    31       75
   20:  973    32      106
   15: 1166    34       86
   10:  760    23       76
------------------------------

I am usually QRV as 9M8Z in CQWW phone but was unable to activate that station
this year. As I was in Singapore for the CQWW phone weekend, James, 9V1YC,
kindly organised a small MS team for the contest.

Conditions sounded good but not fantastic. There was plenty of activity on 10m,
but the band did not sound as if we were only a matter of months before the
solar maximum. 80m seemed to be very poor, with not a single W or VE QSO and
therefore no zone 3 or 4 either on that band. The bands in between were better,
and 31 zones on 40m on just a loaded rotatable dipole (half of a 40m beam) was
gratifying.

These days, with the widespread use of the Cluster, one's QSO rate seems to
depend far more on whether or not you are spotted on the Cluster than with how
good or bad propagation is. When we were spotted there were several good runs
into North America and Europe but there were also long periods of calling CQ
and not getting any replies, with rates of 20 QSOs per hour or worse, even when
the band was wide open. Then immediately some kind soul spotted us, QSO rates
would rise above 200 and even on occasions 300, before gradually returning to
50 or 60 again. You would think that being the only 9V1 active in the contest
would generate a continuous stream of callers, but that was definitely not the
case.  So, thanks to everyone who spotted 9V1YC!

Rig: Icom IC-7600 + amp
Ant: KT-34M2 tribander, rotatable 40m dipole, 80m centre-loaded vertical.

Thanks to James and to Victor, 9V1BH, for sharing the operating time, it was
great fun. Thanks also to Lee Lian and James for their fantastic hospitality
over the weekend.

73,
Steve, 9M6DXX