[3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3JM SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:07:29 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3JM
Operator(s): VE3JM
Station: VE3JM

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Vankleek Hill
Operating Time (hrs): 42:20
Radios: SO2R

  160:  102     9       12
   80:  508    15       55
   40:  846    24       84
   20: 1014    27       81
   15: 1115    31       92
   10: 1501    22       92
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

I had a major addition to my station this year with the second tower erected.
Still my score is about 10 percent lower compared to last year.

Probably the main reason were terrible conditions on 160 from here, and 80 was
not very good. I also rarely operate SSB and the last SSB contest I did was a
year ago. I was running more this time, hoping to beat the last year score by
logging more QSOs.

I could not produce the rates I was expecting on 15. I had trouble with QRM and
I regret that I chose K3 as the run radio over FT1000 since I am so much used to
 Yaesu.

On the positive side, there were no major technical issues. New antennas for 15
and 20 worked really well, I just need to learn how to use them more
effectively.

See you in four weeks. Thanks everybody for a great weekend.

Radio 1: K3, AL1200
Radio 2: FT1000 Mark V Field, SB220

Antennas:
Tower 1 (only the top antennas are rotatable):
15: 5/5/5 @ 168/125/82 feet
20: 4/4 @ 160/110 feet

Tower 2:
Skyhawk tribander @ 72 feet
XM240 @ 80 feet

80: 50 feet T vertical
160: full size wire vertical, wire hanging from Tower 1.

See the pics of the antennas and towers here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/107748476370502651571/NewTower?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCNT16uma2u_r7AE&feat=directlink