[3830] CQ WW RTTY NY2GB(@N2FF) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2ff@optonline.net
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY NY2GB(@N2FF) M/S LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:00:46 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY

Call: NY2GB
Operator(s): N2FF, NY2GB
Station: N2FF

Class: M/S LP
QTH: East Williston, NY

   80:    0     0       0        0     0
   40:  101   191      31       31    12
   20:  142   398      10       63    25
   15:  262   704      19       76    28
   10:  343   980      14       71    25
Total:  848  2273      74      243    90  Total Score = 925,111

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

A perennial participant in the CQWW RTTY contest was missing this year â?" N2FF.

CQ WW RTTT is one of those donâ??t miss contests for me.  As a long time RTTY
addict, dating back to the 1960â??s, my call has rarely been missing from the
fray. In the 1960â??s I was then WA2YVK and entered the for-runner of the CQWW
â?" the CARTG contests. In the mid 1970â??s after upgrading to Extra I became
N2FF.  So for some 40 plus years the call has been in the contest with few
exception - one exception in 2008 when the family went to Jamaica .  I was in
the contest that year and won for Jamaica with the call 6Y0FF.  I was the only
station on from Jamaica!

Now in 2012 the call used was NY2GB, my granddaughter Georgia Belmontâ??s call.

She is 14 years old and licensed less than a year.  In four months she went
from Technician to Extra.  She was only 13 when she passed the Extra.  Needless
to say I am very proud of her.  She has no station at home as she lives with her
sister and her parents in a two bedroom apartment on Roosevelt Island in the
middle of the East River. She has a spectacular view of Manhattan and the river
from her fourth floor apartment and an even better view from the roof.  But no
antennas, unfortunately.

Georgiaâ??s main interest in ham radio is contesting.  She has been watching me
contest for years. When she was only four but able to read and would stand
between my legs reading the countries on the screen while I operated from
England in the December OK RTTY DX Contests just before Christmas as M/N2FF
from Littlehampton, in West Sussex, England.

The contest goal this September was to make 1000 QSO and over a million points.
 We came close!  Conditions were spectacular on Saturday morning.  We woke up
with less than 100 QSO in the log to a wide open ten meter band full of
European stations before 8 AM.  It has been years since I started out on ten
first.  A little after 8 AM I turned Georgia loose.  When given the choice to
pounce or run, she took run.  She is a very competitive teen.  We switched
operators now and then. She went shopping with her grandmother and sister for a
bit.  By 24:00 UTC we had more than 500 QSOs in the log and by the time we
hit the sack we had almost 600.  Our goal was in sight.  But Sunday we and the
bands seem to have run out of steam.

She had a number of thrills.  One of the biggest was Georgia getting called by
a ZS station in the middle of a run.  Then there were a number of times when
she called into a pile up with our 100 watts and saw her call print out on the
screen. You donâ??t have to be a teen to be thrilled by that.  (Right guys?)

I asked Georgia to write a few words giving her reaction to the contest.  Here
are her comments:

The contest was going great on Saturday. We were running for a while and we got
lots of QSOs. Saturday was the best day by far. I contacted lots of people from
Europe, they were on all day and night. Even when I swung the beam I could get
them off the side and back of the beam, conditions were amazing. Something that
was very amusing was when I went to work a guy, and my computer system said that
he was an Egyptian station. I was so happy and I was also very excited. I
clicked on it again, and he was from Spain. I was kind of disappointed. My
grandpa- N2FF found it very funny. Sunday was a little disappointing
because we had some trouble with the conditions. There must have been a
blackout or a flare because the bands were all kind of out-a-wack. Other than
that, this was a great contest for me, better than my 1st one when I got all of
3 contacts.

As Arnold says, â??We will be back!â??