[3830] NAQP SSB K4NO/0(@W4HFZ) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4no@mchsi.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4NO/0(@W4HFZ) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:10:15 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K4NO/0
Operator(s): K4NO
Station: W4HFZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Nebraska
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:    0     0
   80:    1     1
   40:   41    24
   20:  151    33
   15:   12    11
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  205    69  Total Score = 14,145

Club:

Team:

Comments:

My brother Chas W4HFZ was getting promoted to Rear Admiral the Friday before
NAQP SSB.  His new home is Offutt AFB outside of Omaha, NE.  Sensing an
opportunity to be in a "rare mult" in the NAQP, I offered to stay an extra day
to help get his station on the air.

The Saturday morning before the contest, we set up his FT-847 and 80 thru 6
meter screwdriver vertical antenna. It had been used the past 2 years in
Virginia Beach right on the ocean and we had an issue that was resolved with a
hacksaw. About an hour later, the antenna was ground mounted on a tripod and
was working.

Chas does some vhf/packet stuff when time allows and doesn't have get on HF
much.  His other HF stuff was packed in a box that would be delivered in a week
or so. If we had that box, we could have put up a dipole in some of the 40 foot
trees behind the house on Generals Row.

The 847 CAT control is used by either the Yaesu antenna tuner or for CAT
Control, there isn't a way do both.  To use N1MM, I needed the CAT port.  To
tune the antenna to change bands required removing the coax from the radio,
connecting to the Antenna analyzer, working the auto tune to the lowest SWR,
hooking the antenna back to the 847 and hope band conditions haven't changed.

If you asked me to QSY, that "process" is why it took so long to get there.

We were hoping for good conditions on 10 and 15 meters which didn't occur.  Had
to slug it out on a crowded 20 meters.

Only QSO on 80 meters was with K9CT, bandwidth was very narrow on 80 meters
without retuning, so it took a bit longer than ususal to get the antenna
matched for the suggested QSY frequency

K4TD was the only Alabama station worked, heard 2 others  but most folks were
at the Huntsville hamfest.

overall, a great time.  Was able to help get Chas's station set up and maybe he
will be on HF contest in the future

Will upload the logs to LOTW later tonight

Greg K4NO
Back in Alabama