[3830] IOTA LZ0I Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA LZ0I Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 01:06:50 -0700
                    IOTA Contest

Call: LZ0I
Operator(s): LZ1GC,LZ1QV,LZ2JR,LZ3YY
Station: LZ0I

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: EU-181

   80:   154      44      22       18
   40:   458      71     118       41
   20:   476      76     394       64
   15:   461      71     238       65
   10:   475      33      49        8
Total:  2024     295     821      196  Total Score = 10,676,795

This was a DX expedition to Sveti Ivan island EU-181.

Equipment: Run: Elecraft K3 + Acom 1000 at 800 Watts
           Mult: Elecraft K2 + Acom 2000 at 400 Watts
 Antennas: Two spiderbeams 12m up , one with G450 rotator , other rotated by
hand
           Bisquare for 40M ,Fullsize quarter wave vertical for 80M - all on
spiderbeam poles
Power from two Honda EU20i inverter generators in parallel work - thanks to
LZ2JR for cables.

  Some fotos are on qrz.com

Story: Our trip to the island was very questionable,as weather was very bad
with high north winds
up to 100km/h and high waves the days before contest.Thanks God, weather calm
down enough to make
trip possible.
       We arrived at island at Thursday late evening , about 1830 p.m. local
time.
       It was obvious that our crew will be cut down to four people -
me,LZ1GC,LZ1QV and LZ2JR.
       LZ1CNN and LZ1QN come only for unload the boat and had to leave due to
other commitments.
First evening before dark we erected the 80m vertical and were able to organize
one working place
with K2 and Acom 2000.Vertical worked amazing with several South American and
North American station
logged.80 meters seem empty with very little activity that night.First
annoyance appeared that night -
it seems that Acom 2000 did not like Honda's power, so amplifier continuously
switched off.We try several
configurations, both hardware and software, only to end with decision, that
Acom2000 will be for
multiplier place, giving out less than 500w, but working rock solid without
interruptions.
In the Friday morning we put spiderbeam with G450 rotator up on the portable
12m mast.Than,in the
36 deg. celsius midday we finish Bi-square for 40 meters.
Here I have to apologise for our very light activity before contest, but we
feel very tired due to
extra work on antennas, very hot weather and high humidity.
Stretching guy ropes , control cables and coaxials in such conditions isn't a
easy job.Walking through
Big thorns around didn't help either :).At saturday early morning we finish
second spiderbeam for mult
station.There was some problems with N1MM network config for two stations,which
were resolved by LZ2JR.
Some intruders were observed in sleeping beds - huge spiders, one of them was
so cheeky to bite me.
We had to fight with spiders,flys and mosquitos as well - some time quite
successfully.
LZ1QV carry a rich bag with mussels,crabs and fish,a extra delicious food for
us.
We have visit from many tourists,looking in surprise our setup on the
island.Emo,LZ1EAK- a newly licenced
HAM come by for couple hours to see a real HF station and antennas.
We have a great time during our expedition,despite all the problems.

Contest went smoothly,except low multipliers total.We missed many on 80/10
SSB.It is truly our mistake,
just we love CW :).

Our big thanks to: LZ1QN - Boyko for all the organisation and logistics.LZ2JR
for antenna preparations
before contest,LZ1QV for excellent cooking,LZ1GC for countless hours of antenna
work,
Captain George "The Fox" from m/v St.Helena for quick and easy transportation
in such complicated weather
conditions.

Thanks for all the contacts before and during IOTA contest.

See you next time! 73 de Nasko,LZ3YY for LZ0I crew.