[3830] IARU K6XT SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6xt@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] IARU K6XT SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:42:05 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K6XT
Operator(s): K6XT
Station: K6XT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: CO

  160:   10             4       2
   80:   37             9       3
   40:  144            20      18
   20:  186            22      14
   15:  149            19      20
   10:   37             9       4
-------------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Saturday afternoon a T-storm rolled in. I disconnected the main coax as usual
and decided to take a nap. As I lay on a sofa relaxing, there was a bright
flash of light and a single loud snap out of the radio room. Uh Oh. Duck for
cover. Other than checking for fire and despite my "interest" to see what had
happened I didn't go in there for an hour til the storm passed by.

All antenna position indication was fried. The DXE CC-8 control box doesn't
seem to have any LED's any more. They were fired off the front panel, nothing
but jagged carcasses remain. The Green Heron that controls the rotary tower is
stuck on "no rotation", I hope its just a fried pot or blown MOV's. Its ants
are locked on Asia. The synchros on the LM354HD don't move, its stuck. Which
doesn't matter because its antenna switching is the expired CC-8. That 7-band
tower is out of commission.

The good is the 3L40 on another tower is stuck into EU but working. THe KT36XA
on the rotary tower stuck into Asia is OK. The 80/160 GP works in all
directions.

The radio computer computes. Initially all USB seemed dead. The brand new,
maiden voyage YCCC SO2R box is dead - it had been busy giving me a new lease on
SO2R. THe Edgeport USB to COM is done for. The EW Beverage has had it. The south
direction on the NS Beverage likewise, obviously toasted at least the load
resistor. These ants were connected to a K3 but the K3 is OK.

THe rigs and amps are thankfully unscathed. I found one USB port on the radio
PC motherboard still alive. This got freq info into N1MM from the main K3.
Voila! Only a few hours delay! Back in business like it was 1980! At least I
didn't have to get out paper and pencil. It was, however, slow going forward.
Much worse than my usual mediocre rate. And darnit, for the first time ever I
was having fun with SO2R.