[3830] FlQP K4OJ/M SO Mobile+DriverCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0luz@topsusa.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4OJ/M SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:35:05 -0700
                    Florida QSO Party

Call: K4OJ/M
Operator(s): N4KM, K0LUZ
Station: K4OJ/M

Class: SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
QTH: FL

   15:    98
   10:
--------------------
Total:  2598    0  CW Mults = 79  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 820,652

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Ops:  N4KM (Kevin) and K0LUZ (Red) - Just a couple of Midwestern farm boys out
for a spin.

This is Kevin's and my 7th FQP together and each year we try to improve the
conditions.  This year Kevin upgraded the computer which also required a
converter from 110 to 20 volts.  Previously we used a dos machine that operated
at 12 volts using CT.  The new machine with N1MM made scoring easier,  but no
matter what converter we tried,  we had issues.  The converter we used (a big
thank you to Art, N4PJ) did not have any hash but had little birdies floating
by the run frequency bringing the noise level to above s9.  This wasn't so bad
when the birdies just floated by,  but sometimes it would decide to just sit
there for awhile.  So for all of you that wondered what on earth was going on,
there were times when all we could do was wait or hope the stations calling us
were 599 + 20 db!  Our apologies to some of the weak stations we just couldn't
pull through. This will be our major project for next year.

Found 40 to be slower than usual until quite late in the evening.  Perhaps a
result of 20 meters being open longer.  Sunday morning we were running Calhoun
county with the N1MM 10 minute rate meter consistently above 300 for few
minutes when suddenly there was no one there and we had to call cq for about 3
or 4 minutes before a return call.  That had to be something significant of a
solar sort.  Things gradually returned to normal although I question if it was
as hot as early Sunday or Saturday.  Fifteen was slightly open with west coast
and as far east as some esp 9 stations.  Couldn't get any decent rate on 15.

Overall,  everything went fine although we missed Dixie and we didn't realize
it until we were too far to go back. Sorry about that!  Also interesting when
we would work a county a second time,  dupes were experienced in abundance. Why
is that?  Thanks to all that stood by when I would give a couple of letters and
hope only stations with that criteria would answer.  Thanks all!

73 Red K0LUZ