[3830] WPX SSB VK8AA(VK2CZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VK8AA(VK2CZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 14:51:30 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: VK8AA
Operator(s): VK2CZ
Station: VK8AA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Sydney

Hello all,
A quick note to let everyone know the Manly Warringah Radio Society station as
activated for the CQ WPX SSB event last weekend. With the kind permission from
the club committee, I was able to be active from around midday Saturday thru to
about 5:30pm on Saturday [local time]... using the 20m, 15m and 10m** bands.

** I was made aware if the TVI issues with the use of 10m at the club ;-{

With the contest kicking off at 11:00am local... setting up about half an hour
prior seemed like a good idea and coordinating with Dominic worked out well.
About to make a test call, I realised I had forgotten to bring my (icom)
microphone.. after a quick chat with Patrick VK2PN and Dominic, a not so quick
drive home and back to retrieve said microphone....  arriving back at the
clubrooms, the people with the TVI issues were out front of their house,
figuring it was a cloudless sunny day.. a bit of small talk was in order...
after 10minutes chat it was clear they were to be outdoors all day and their TV
was definitely going to be off... ** looked like operating on 10m could happen -
at least while the sun was shining.. ;-}

Had a lot of fun with just swooping and pouncing on stations the whole
afternoon - cognisant if any TVI was possibly occurring to others, then it
wasn't going to be constant barrage. Managing around 50 qsos on 10m, 50 qsos on
15m and about 50 qsos on 20m, it wasn't to be record breaker effort, but did put
a VK8 prefix on the map to some of the rarer entities. I did use the VK8AA
callsign, and while technically out of area, its use inside mainland Australia
is permitted under the contest rules for this event.

A couple of visitors with Patrick and Rob dropping by made for a pleasant break
from my annoying microphone..

A big thanks to the club for allowing me access.
Regards,
David Burger
VK2CZ / VK8AA