[3830] CQ160 SSB W3DQ(N8HM) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3dq@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB W3DQ(N8HM) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 08:21:04 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): N8HM
Station: W3DQ

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: WASHINGTON, DC

Total:  QSOs = 272  State/Prov = 39  Countries = 3  Total Score = 25,956

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

What was intended to be a full-time M/S effort ended up being a short-time
Single Op outing as the regular Team DC crew had lots of other obligations this
weekend. And it goes without saying that a 160m SSB contest is not one that
folks rush to participate in, especially from a small urban lot like mine.

Fortunately, Paul, N8HM, stepped in. Paul lives and operates from a 1st floor
apartment in downtown, DC, and jumped at the opportunity to do something
different, even though he'd never seen the station nor was he familiar with any
of its components (radio and related hardware, logging software, etc.). I picked
him up from work (we both work in downtown DC) and into the shack we went...
spending the next hour plus getting everything to work.

Once it was all going, Paul was off to the races. He had some very nice runs,
considering the poor conditions. DX consisted of 2 Caribbeans and a lone EI7.
No W6's, W7's or much west of Mississippi. I did see that KV4FZ, VY2MM and some
other who usually boom in were spotted, but by 0700, when Paul quit, the
activity was VERY low and he hadn't worked them (thinking there'd be other
opportunities).

I was planning to operate the rest of the time, but was felled by something
that completely wiped me out on Saturday. Oh well.. it is a hobby, right?

Thanks to N8HM for stepping in and doing as well as he did (without a DVK, mind
you).

See you next time!

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC