[3830] CQ160 CW WB8JUI Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wb8jui@juno.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WB8JUI Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:06:09 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: WB8JUI
Operator(s): WB8JUI
Station: WB8JUI

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bellevue, Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 14.5

Total:  QSOs = 706  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 20  Total Score = 131,747

I decided early on to make this a casual contest effort, with lots of sleep
breaks.  Work has been a PITA lately and I was in dire need of some rest.  Band
conditions Friday evening / Saturday morning pretty much reconfirmed this as a
good decision.  Conditions did improve greatly Saturday evening / Sunday
morning.

DX was definitely at a premium this year.  I missed KL7 for WAS.  Also no VE7s,
a usual given in this contest.

I made the fatal decision to get on for the final 30 minutes or so.  We had
lots of wind and heavy snow at the time.  I thought it unusual that signals
were extremely weak (KW8N, KG4W, and others @ S1), but I was being heard and
apparently copied well by these ESP stations.  On a whim, I hooked up the Icom
and alas, those ESP signals were loud.  It appears an electrostatic discharge
took out the D5 PIN diode in the K3's KXV3 board.  Murphy lives.

Thanks to all for the Qs.  Nice working friends, both old and new.

73 - Rick WB8JUI