[3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K7BG SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:03:42 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K7BG
Operator(s): K7BG
Station: K7BG

Class: SO CW HP
QTH:

   CW: 1749   130
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1749   130  Total Score = 909,220

Club: Northern Rockies DX Association

Comments:

Lotsa, lotsa fun in this one. I had a dinner engagement Friday night with the
XYL so I got up from the rig with the rate meter sitting on 150 after the first
hour or so. That was hard. The band was still open a bit to the pacific/JA and
there was a nice Es opening to the Midwest (Kansas and Missouri and a few
others). Leaving the rig at that time was the hardest part of the weekend. When
I got home 3 hours later I worked the remnants of the Es opening and then went
to bed. The full moon was so bright I couldnâ??t sleep very well and at 3:30AM
local (1030 utc) I got up to see if the moon was starting its eclipse and went
down to take a listen on the band. I heard a few weak stations and they
didnâ??t sound like scatter or meteor pings. They were Europeans! I could only
hear a few stations. One signal would fade out and then I would hear another
one or maybe two. They would then fade out and another one would show up. They
were working other EU stations, but I couldnâ??t hear the other stations and
their rate seemed slow. I called TM6M and finally got him in the log at
1048utc. He disappeared and then I heard a few HG stations and finally worked
HG0A at 1113utc. I also heard ES5RY, but couldnâ??t make it into the log. He
got K7, but that was it. He said, â??LTRâ?? after several tries, but alas,
there was no later for that part of EU from here. The only other station worked
was HG7T who went in the log at 1148utc. This opening lasted about an hour and
overall I think I only heard a half dozen stations. I know Iâ??ve experienced
this opening once or twice before, but itâ??s been a long, long time and itâ??s
very strange and awe inspiring. The opening disappeared after an hour or so and
I went upstairs and drank coffee in the cold dark night and watched the moon
disappear behind the earthâ??s shadow. I didnâ??t put another EU in the log
Saturday morning until DL9GFB at 1530utc. The last mainland EU station worked
Saturday morning was DK9OY at 1658utc.
I took a quick listen in the wee hours again early Sunday morning for the same
opening, but no joy so I went back to bed. I didnâ??t work an EU station Sunday
until LZ9W at 1451utc. The last in the log was S53EO at 1627utc. Both days the
openings were about an hour and a half and sigs werenâ??t loud. I didnâ??t
spend much time S&P so Iâ??m sure I missed some good mults, but it was just too
much fun running rate to the east coast to look for mults.
It was nice to be called by W1YL/4 on Sunday afternoon. Made me think of K4OJ
and how much he loved this contest.
Congrats to Gene (KB7Q) and Pat (N9RV) for outstanding efforts from here in Big
Sky country. I was going to call you both at 3:30 Saturday morning to tell you
the band was sort of open to EU, but I didnâ??t think your respective XYLs
would approve, not to mention that you would have had to reclassify your logs
as M/S, aitch eye.

Thanks to all for the good time and rates.

N America:     1449     1449 (83%)
S America:       65       65 (4%)
   Europe:       79       79 (5%)
   Africa:       10       10 (1%)
     Asia:      120      120 (7%)
  Oceania:       26       26 (1%)

9A,9M6,9V,BY,CE,CN,CT,CU,CX,D4,DL,E5/s,E7,EA,EA6,EA8,EI,F,G,GI,GM,GW,HAHB,HC,HK,HL,HR,I,J3,JA,KH2,KP2,LU,LZ,OH,OK,OM,ON,PA,PJ4,PY,S5,SM,TF,UA9V5,VK,VR,YB,YS,YV,ZF,ZK2,ZL,ZS

WAS (Thanks KD4POJ in ND for last one)
11 XE states
only missed NU and LB in VE land.