[3830] CQWW SSB N7ZG SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N7ZG SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:52:55 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7ZG
Operator(s): N7ZG
Station: N7ZG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Harstine
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:    4     4        4
   80:   20     7        7
   40:  140    27       63
   20:  236    29       72
   15:  326    32       87
   10:  353    30       73
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Conditions were the best I've experienced in my contesting career, as I really
didn't get into radiosport until '04.   I really wasn't expecting 10 to open
into EU.

Barely managed to get the 40M beam up in time.   Given that I now have at least
1 working antenna on each band I decided to do a SOAB effort.   I love the
challenge of playing the prop as well as the distinct "feel" of each band.
Also, learning to move mults is a cool skill that I'm still working on.

Lots of interesting DX to work now that the bands are back.  Notably, A52AB,
ST2AR, EY8MM, EY7AD, C37N.   It's also fun having stations like HS0ZIN and
VU2NKS call in.

I was happy with my mult count but really struggled with getting good runs
going.   I only had a few hours to assemble the station on Friday and don't
think my transmit audio is quite right.   The JA runs were not up to
expectations for this station.   Also, I didn't go to 10M until 11AM on
Saturday.  Too caught up in the 15M opening to EU.   I did get to 10 earlier on
Sunday and was able to get a 120+ rate doing S&P.   40M was really good to EU on
Friday night.   Worked 42 EU all told.  I think the 40M beam at 160' is working
well.   Can't wait to get it's twin up next summer at the 90' level on that
tower.   Also, more monobanders for 10 are due to go up.  The rotating antenna
is at 168'.   Way too high for that to be the only antenna for 10.

So here is the rundown on the station:

Tower #1 160' of AB-105

4-EL (Dual driven) 40M beam at 162'
6-EL (Dual driven) 10M beam at 168'
Inverted vee for 80 apex at 140'

Tower #2 160' of AB-105
6-EL 20M beam (60' boom) at 162'
6-EL (Dual driven) 15M beam at 170'
Inverted L for 160M

2 Elecraft K3s

I will miss Sweeps CW this year.  I might get on for the SSB weekend.   I will
definately be on for CQWW CW.  It also looks like I will make a go at the ARRL
10M contest for the pure fun of it.   Might even try to convince my XYL to join
me for a multi.

Thanks for all the fun and Qs.

73,
Guy, N7ZG