[3830] NAQP SSB NR5M Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, georged@demontrond.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB NR5M Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 07:51:32 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: NR5M
Operator(s): NR5M
Station: NR5M

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Hempstead, Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:    1     1
   80:   56    31
   40:  194    45
   20:  721    53
   15:   51    24
   10:    6     4
-------------------
Total: 1029   158  Total Score = 162,582

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Team: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

An unexpected setup issue prevented me from using SO2R fully.  Still climbing
the learning curve.

Started on 15.  The band was long and the rate was not what I expected.  Was
torn between going to 20 and the shorter skip (and higher rate) and staying on
the much slower 15.  Elected to get the important 15 mults and suffered the
rate consequences. (In a do-over I would have moved much earlier.)

20 and 40 were rocking and I thought I was overcoming my slow start.  But you
can NEVER overcome a slow start in these things, can you?

Got to 80 a tad early and slugged it out for 30 mins until the band caught up.
Finally a few mults on 80.  Finished on 40 to a fast and furious rate (but only
for 20 minutes).

Lessons learned:

Practice your proposed operating technique BEFORE the contest. (There is no
time during the contest to get out the manual when something unexpected
happens!)

Band selection and timing the band changes is the MOST critical strategic
element in this test.

Full SO2R functionality (the kind I did not have) is  especially critical to
this contest.

Having said all this, I had a ball and look forward to the next NAQP!

George NR5M