[3830] NAQP CW K3FIV Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3fiv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW K3FIV Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2011 11:10:26 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: K3FIV
Operator(s): K3FIV
Station: K3FIV

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA CM88eu

  160:   11     6
   80:   33    17
   40:   84    37
   20:   93    36
   15:   14     9
   10:    9     8
-------------------
Total:  244   113  Total Score = 27,572

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Rig: Flex-3000
Ant: 135' Carolina Windom @ 35', all bands
QTH: 100 miles N of San Francisco, overlooking the Pacific

With the media reporting that there was a strong solar storm that might even
bring down the power grid, it didn't look good for contesting.  I hadn't
expected to be on the air anyway, but since I've never worked a contest during
a major storm (at least knowingly), I decided to see what it was like.  It's
all part of my mission to see what you can do with 100W and a wire.....

It turned out not as bad as I expected.  Signals did seem unusually weak,
especially from the other side of the continent.  But noise on 20/15/10 was
also unexpectedly low, with S2 signals easily copyable above S0-S1 noise.
Lots of people couldn't hear me though, so I suspect noise was bad further
east.  Also, I didn't hear much at all from the Far East - ME, RI, VT, VE1,2
etc.  All through the contest, I never even heard a single station from outside
NA on any band - which is very unusual.  A short opening on 10 brought in a
handful of East Coast stations, which was a nice surprise.  Signals on 80 were
pretty strong, but the noise was too painful to stay there long.

I treated this more as a sort of DXing than contesting. Did all S&P, moving
around the bands to see how the storm conditions was affecting things.  Found
the VP9, V31, and XE, but only a few VEs.  Was surprised to work Jim W7CT in UT
who had a strong signal on all 6 bands - even without a real 160M antenna on my
end.

The NAQP format is nice -- long enough to have fun, short enough to be fun!
The 100W limit really helps to "level the playing field" too.

73,
/Jack de K3FIV