[3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa5au@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY AA5AU Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:31:40 -0700
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: AA5AU
Operator(s): AA5AU
Station: AA5AU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

   80:  117    36
   40:  251    48
   20:  273    53
   15:   56    17
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total:  698   155  Total Score = 108,190

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Team: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

Dedicated my effort to Jr. KK5OQ.  Charles had a lightning strike the day
before the contest and sustained major damage to his station.  I know how he
feels because I suffered two major lightning strikes last year.  Thanks to
Shelby, K4WW, for being a last minute substitute for Jr on the LCC team.  I
hope the best for Jr in his recovery.

Really disappointed that 10 and 15 did not produce despite the SFI being 94.
Only one QSO on 10 meters.  Found N4AOE in Florida calling CQ on 10M at 2320Z.
Worked him with my antenna pointing due north.  Must have been E skip.  Called
CQ on ten quite a few times with no results.

Low bands were the highlight.  Even in summertime, 40 an 80 were pretty darn
good - thankfully!  I had the 12 db attenuator in on 40 and the 18 db
attenuator
in on 80 and signals were good enough to make those bands quite productive.

I want to thank my team members - N5ZM, N5RN, NX8G and K4WW for being on the
team.  With the high bands being poor, I took my rest periods early.  20 was
good late into the night but I didn't stay there because I needed the mults on
80.

Thunderstorms in the first couple of hours did not force me to shut down. I
probably should have and dared Zeus to show his ugly head.  It was foolish,
but I just couldn't see shutting down 30 minutes into the contest.

Thanks to the few who I was able to move to different bands.  Biggest
disappointment was W4HOD/0 ND not hearing me on 80 meters.  And did you notice
they were sending "O" the letter "O" instead of zero "0" as in W4HOD/O instead
of W4HOD/0 ? hi ...  Wonder how many contacts got logged that way.  Stuff
happens I guess.

I am just thankful I was able to participate.  Thanks to everyone for the Q's.

Station A:
Icom 756 PRO III
NIR-12 Audio Filter
Dell Dimension 4600 Win XP running WriteLog V10.87D
HAL DXP-38 in a cloned Rttyrite window
Icom PS-60 power supply
Dunestar 600 band filter

Station B:
Kenwood TS870
NIR-12 Audio Filter
Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop computer Win XP running WriteLog V10.87D
Astron RS-35A power supply
Dunestar 600 band filter

WX0B SixPak Antenna Switch
3 element SteppIR @ 60' with SDA100 controller and Ham IV rotor
KT34M2 4 element tribander at 40' with M2 RC2800 rotor & controller
80 meter inverted vee w/apex at 58'

73, Don AA5AU