[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 06:44:55 -0700
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps

Total:  QSOs = 86  Total Score = 224

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

There was no trace of activity anywhere else in the world according to
the spotting network, so I was worried there wouldn't be any activity
here either.  All of the 160 activity was dedicated to the All Asian
test.

Worked WB8JUI at 2135Z, but the action didn't really start until after
0000Z.  Alternated between checking 160 and checking 20 for All Asian
contacts.

The QRN was horrible to the west, northwest, and southeast, manageable
to the south and southwest, and not bad at all to the east and
northeast.  Worked 5 DX stations, KV4FZ, G4AMT, G3JMJ, F5IN, and
PY1NB, who all had decent signals.

Around 0400Z, it looked like most of Europe was in sunlight, and the
QRN and noise to the west was almost 40 db stronger here than to the
northeast.  Only worked 2 stations west of EN/EM, K7CA and N6RO.

Elected to nap for 3 hours and hope the noise goes down.  Returned at
0800Z, but the noise was just as bad, and the waterfall only showed
N6RO and NO3M.  When I'm sleepy, it was very difficult to "forge
ahead" when there was no immediately obvious benefit, so I went back
to bed.

We should try this contest again, as the noise is going to vary
considerably from year to year, while the DX is almost always
possible.  I would vote for a different weekend, maybe colliding with
the ARRL June VHF test instead of the All Asian test.  Or, how about
the same weekend as RAC Canada, for symmetry with the winter schedule?

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (K8ND loan), 65 foot "T", 6 2-wire Beverages
(north/south crushed under huge oak tree), 8 element steerable phased
array (rebuilt after May storms).