[3830] Rus DX T70A(IZ3EYZ) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, iz3eyz@virgilio.it
Subject: [3830] Rus DX T70A(IZ3EYZ) SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 20:46:10 -0700
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: T70A
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: T70A

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: RSM

  160:   308             44        44
   80:   495             57        51
   40:   793             65        61
   20:   662             63        70
   15:   695             66        61
   10:    94             32        11
Total:  3047    0       327       298  Total Score = 11,568,750

Touch & go operation, SO1R.

Vy bad flu (38,5°c, cold, cough) plagued me for the whole week prior to the
ctest. It was abt 13/14 yrs I didn't catch anything similar.
On Friday I still had 37.2°c thus my basic purpose became travelling to T7,
unload the car, arrange a simple setup and stay 24 hrs on the chair.
All of above was accomplished and I felt vy happy abt it.
The illness caused I didn't feel any need to eat or drink.
Soon after the ctest I took a shower, dismantled the stn, loaded the car and
took the 240km trip back home.

No major troubles happened during the ctest apart from the Internet connection
failure at 09.40z on Sunday thus I missed clx & skimmer until the end. Half
time into the contest a burning smell came out of the amplifier: I thought
something bad happened but then realized a mosquito decided to kill himself.

No MIX-HP operation was possible due to lack of decent 80 cw+ssb ant solutions.
I thought abt MIX-LP but I didn't see any joy with me screaming into a mike
almost without voice already at the ctest beginning. Fun factor did lead to
pick up CW-HP.

Antennas are pretty simple in T7. The location sits on a NW/SE oriented
mountain
ridge abt 320mt a.s.l. with a nice view over the Adriatic Sea.
The 20+ db boost given by the call works vy well as long as you press F1,
unfortunately as soon as you switch to S&Ping you are left with reality that
multiple calls are needed to work a multiplier. Having no guarantee to log a
mult after a waste of time (due to SO1R) and since I recalled 9A3A complained
abt the same thing in WW CW I simply decided to forget the strategy of doing
5/10 mins mult hunting each hour or each time I would have decided to do a band
change.
A few mults by S&Ping were worked anyway from time to time when I had no
callers.
Working more mults is possible as I had free time even in 150 Qs/hr. Of course
one has to decide if the amount of work and gear needed to bring a complete
SO2R setup inside and add a few ants outside to enable proper two radio HP
operation is worth the result. Although the advantage is quite clear to me I
decided to skip it due to several reasons [...].

I want to thank Andrea IK4VET whom saved my butt abt 30 mins b4 the contest
start. My 8 yrs young laptop developed an old problem and I had no way to
access my WT code and install a full WT ver. temporary on the local PC.
This problem also lead me to screw with the 36 hrs deadline as per RDXC rules.
I expected having A71BX, LZ8E, P3F well ahead of me. Unfortunately when I
realized how things were it was 10 minutes past the deadline and I was watching
myself for the 1st time the contest scores!
Reality is: P3F stopped at 0730z Sunday thus he's probably behind, LZ8E is
+500k, A71BX is +700k.
I know Dave K5GN is a very accurate op. thus hopefully he will make me happy
and keep the lead even after log checking. It's not vy funny if my score is 1st
after the log checking.
Interesting to compare LZ8E and LZ5R results. LZ4UU seems really a beginner and
I know he's a super CW op, thus LZ8E must be a mutant. Having seen some of his
past logs have an impressive pattern (ie. 1 minute = 3 RUN Qs + 2 S&Ping Qs on
the same band - wow!!!) I wonder what kind of operation he developed this time
and ask myself why these numbers always happen on CW or RTTY ctests. ;-)

Unlike last ARRLs we weren't blessed by any LOW POWER heroes from Italy! (phew)
:-))

Congrats to the rdxc regulars like dl1iao, dj5mw, lz4uu, ik3qar, oe3dia, e77dx
and others for ufb scores and the fine competition.

73

eyz (still with borrowed laptop and without WT codes)

PS.Rate chart which might be of some interest is included below

T70A
By band - All modes
QSOs (with dupes) - By time

| Hr |      160 |       80 |       40 |       20 |       15 |       10 |
Total  |
|    |          |          |          |          |          |          |

| 12 |          |          |          |          |      147 |          |
147 |
| 13 |          |          |          |      130 |       20 |          |
150 |
| 14 |          |          |          |      144 |          |          |
144 |
| 15 |          |          |          |       72 |       54 |       24 |
150 |
| 16 |          |          |          |       34 |      121 |          |
155 |
| 17 |          |          |      157 |          |          |          |
157 |
| 18 |          |          |      165 |          |          |          |
165 |
| 19 |          |       31 |        7 |       80 |        2 |          |
120 |
| 20 |          |      113 |       16 |          |          |          |
129 |
| 21 |       68 |       86 |          |          |          |          |
154 |
| 22 |       94 |          |       14 |          |          |          |
108 |
| 23 |          |          |      137 |          |          |          |
137 |
| 00 |          |       85 |       56 |          |          |          |
141 |
| 01 |          |      115 |          |          |          |          |
115 |
| 02 |       83 |       37 |          |          |          |          |
120 |
| 03 |       68 |       33 |       10 |          |          |          |
111 |
| 04 |          |          |      127 |          |          |          |
127 |
| 05 |          |          |      118 |          |          |          |
118 |
| 06 |          |          |          |       82 |       56 |          |
138 |
| 07 |          |          |          |          |      122 |          |
122 |
| 08 |          |          |          |       55 |       32 |        6 |
93 |
| 09 |          |          |          |       68 |          |       19 |
87 |
| 10 |          |          |          |        1 |      105 |          |
106 |
| 11 |          |          |          |        1 |       43 |       45 |
89 |
|    |      313 |      500 |      807 |      667 |      702 |       94 |
3083 |