[3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W3DQ M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 20:23:06 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W3DQ
Operator(s): K2PS, W2CDO, KE3X, W3DQ
Station: W3DQ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Washington, DC

  160:   14    14
   80:   72    48
   40:  112    60
   20:  276    82
   15:  434    87
   10:  105    34
-------------------
Total: 1013   325  Total Score = 982,800

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It seemed like this was going to be a long and ugly slog for Team DC. It *was*
long and the overnights *were* definately a slog, but in the end we did far
better than last year. We put in almost 20% more time and came out with a score
30% higher.

160 was down from last year. 80m, 40m and 20m were almost the same as last
year.

The big difference: 15m, where we had twice the number of Q's and 20% more
mults, and 10m, with 4x the number of Q's and 3x the number of mults.

Congrats to those few who worked us on all 6 bands. No mean feat, that!

Murphy made a couple of untimely visits this year:
Using K2PS's Alpha 78 instead of my 500w TT Hercules was good for us, but bad
for my family and my neighbors. We lit up our stereo and the neighbors -- with
their stereo off. We also chewed up our telephones. Fortunately the cable TV
and blu-ray were untouched.

We had a short power outage Saturday morning, and it was hard to get everything
up and running again, including Writelog, which acted oddly and inconsistently.
On Saturday night we had a major water leak through the exterior shack door,
which brought some excitement to the otherwise slow overnight shift.

Nevertheless, with K2PS and W2CDO in the driver's seat and KE3X playing the
middle relief pitcher, it was both fun and satisfying to give out this rare
mult. We seemed to be able to work all that we heard, even if it was very hard
to hold a run frequency.

We now have a much better feel of what works and what needs work.

See you in the next one!

Eric W3DQ and Team DC: K2PS, W2CD and KE3X