[3830] ARRLDX CW I4LEC M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ik4zgo@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW I4LEC M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:27:40 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: I4LEC
Operator(s): I4LEC IK4NPD IK4VET IK4ZGO
Station: I4LEC

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Sasso Marconi (BO)
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:  120    35
   80:  341    49
   40:  975    56
   20:  720    57
   15:  659    51
   10:   69    25
-------------------
Total: 2884   273  Total Score = 2,359,539

Main object was testing I4LECâ??s station on all 6 bands, well aware of the
limits of a non MS station entering this category, where a single coaxial
cable, through a switch box, feed one at time the different antennas.
Being not possible to have a second station monitoring a different band, to
perform the normal  MS operations, a so called  â??magic boxâ?? was put
together aimed to increase atleast the QSOâ??s number within the same band.
We wanted the 2nd op. to answer the callers, breaking in between the pauses
while the main one was running, sharing the same PA and the same antenna.
Making the box and overcome the various occurred problems was fun too.

The contest was great fun, even if a bit complex due the setup we had set.
Conditions seemed not exceptional, despite the great solar activity of previous
days.
15m and 20m have been quite productive but opened late and closed early
On 40m numbers could have been much better if we had taken the time right
We lost some possible mults on 80 but we did a good job on 160 and 10,
although expensive  in terms of time due the absence of the 2nd station.
A more aggressive work on the 2nd radio may would have led to an extra 100 or
more Qso's, but  that would have also implys a larger number of Ops.

A big thanks goes to Clay I4LEC and his XYL Francesca for their delicious
hospitality...

Setup:
radioA IC775 + microHam MK2R+
radioB IC775+  microHam microKEYER 2
The magicbox (see above)

The I4LEC's antenna system:
Stack of two home brew Raibeam 50 & 80 feet high (4 phased driven elements on
10-15-20 m
40 m home brew Raibeam
80 m pair of switchable phased 1/4 wave slopers
160m double L (end loaded vertical)

Rx ant:
160m:  2 meters diameter loop
80m:  Slinky loaded beverage (40m lenght)

CU on next one!

Stan IK4ZGO