[3830] TBDC SV0XBZ/9(YL2VW) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC SV0XBZ/9(YL2VW) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 02:18:27 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: SV0XBZ/9
Operator(s): YL2VW
Station: SV0XBZ/9

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: KM25mh

Total:  QSOs = 96  Total Score = 717

Thanks to the recent purchase of 18m Spiderbeam fiberglass mast I was able to
hope for putting some temporary antenna on the roof for Stew Perry night and
make my first QSOs from Crete on the topband.
Murphy was nice to me - wind and weather in general was acceptable to try
extending the mast alone without proper guying (not enough space on the roof).
Temperature is not a problem here most of the time - no freezing fingers.

The mast without the last, thinnest section was used to support T-shape,
bottom-fed vertical.
It had 15 m vertical part and two 15 m long, very thin conductors sloping down
from 16.7 m height back to the roof. Last minute I dropped just two 30m long
radials skewed by the perimeter of my and neighbors roof, one not fully
extended.
To tune all this automatic external tuner was used at the base of the vertical
(thank you Kostas, SV9OFS).

As I started my "on the roof" activities late in the evening, I finished just
after midnight.
Noise level was about S8 on S-meter.
I was not hoping for much from this last-minute built antenna and 100 W, but
probably I can say that the result exceeded expectations. I even got 3 USA
stations in the log (K3ZM, N1LN - you had the best combination of mouth and
ears from my perspective) despite I started taking down everything 2 hours
before my sunrise to get some sleep and not scare the neighbors in the
morning.

73,
and I hope to repeat this for one of the CQ WW 160m CW contest nights