[3830] ARRL 10 NK7U M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NK7U M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 08:31:22 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO
Station: NK7U

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oregon

   CW:  249    59
  SSB:  278    50
-------------------
Total:  527   109  Total Score = 169,168

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Overall a pretty good contest. We never thought we would make more then 500 QSOs
but we did. The band was about as interesting as we have ever seen it. Some high
and low lights:

* Great openings to W1/W2 land on Saturday and Sunday morning. On Sunday we had
the rate meter over 300 for the peak of the opening. Just wish it had lasted
longer.
* Saturday afternoon the contest was essentially the AZ QSO party for us. At
one point we had 16 straight QSOs with AZ and 27 out of 30. Luckily there are a
lot of hams in Arizona.
* Not a single W9 worked all weekend. The band was really long. Normally W9 is
the sweetspot for us on the first skip due east. We also only had 2 QSOs with
W8. Finally, though we worked plenty of TX and FL we had no AR, MS, or AL. Very
spotty propagation.
* At one point Sunday afternoon we had consecutive QSOs with: AK, CA, FL, and
ME. Quite a tour of the US. More or less all 4 corners in 4 minutes!
* Shortly after that the only opening we had was toward AK and VE8. We had hope
for JA as it is in that direction as well. And what do you know we worked a
couple of JA8s with low serial numbers who answered our CQs.
* Great participation from Mexico. We worked 17 XE states during the contest
with 31 total QSOs.

Scott/K7ZO