[3830] ARRL 160 N8OO M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N8OO M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 15:22:32 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N8OO
Operator(s): N8OO, W5XZ
Station: N8OO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1366  Sections = 117  Countries = 0  Total Score = 360,771

I asked Vic if I could use his 4 square in Pineville, La for the test this
year.
He said "yes", except he was not home yet from Maine when the contest started!

Got the hamshack unlocked and started firing up equip around 0100z fri night.
except the Orion would not work...had to reset it several times..about 0230z
we are finally operational. we tag-teamed a bit, but Vic had to get some sleep
after driving for 36 hours ( !! ) I stayed up all night. Rig quit again about
4 am local time. Tried everything i could think of to no avail. Vic wakes up
( miraculously ) around 6 am, and fixes rig..

Sat, while I slept during day, Vic switched out the rig with another Orion.
no more rig trouble.

Had not done this contest for several years. I apologize for 'DX window
violations'...last time i worked this test, compliance was poor with the
concept..

The band did not sound red-hot to me..some DX..N1MM log still in Pineville,
so i dont know our section / country multiplier breakdown...Felt prop to
JA was poor on Sunday. KL7RA was MUCH weaker on sunday a.m.

Vic's 4 square works REALLY well. Massive number of radials under each
element.
Side and Back rejection absolutely amazing...he homebrewed a comtek-type
network to drive it, but I'm sure the delays are NOT 90 and 180 degrees...
sounded more like 120 / 240 degrees to me...suuuuuweet.

73, will try to 'behave' next time. W5XZ, Dan