[3830] ARRL 160 K6NV M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k6nv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K6NV M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 10:58:03 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K6NV
Operator(s): K6NV
Station: K6NV

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Truckee, CA

Total:  QSOs = 463  Sections = 929  Countries = 1  Total Score = 61,314

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Friday was good, many Q's, felt loud, was able
to hold a run freqs easily, noticed activity dropped
late in the evening, was about even with last year.

Sat evening conditions must have changed, could
not get traction, could not hold a run freq, not
many new ones heard.   I did notice that after 10:00 PST the
bands really opened to the east,, but they must have gone
to bed.

Then disaster struck, noticed my amp not putting power out, but all the
meters were working, thought my tuner went south.  After some tests it was ok,
then the amp smoked and flashed.  Stopped working on 160m, but all other bands
are ok.

I suspect the cause may be a cap in the 160m output
circuit caused by a momentry shot of high SWR
due to wet branches hitting the vetical wire ant.  Going to move it
away from branches this week.

All in all I always like this contest.  Also found out
that 100w does ok on S & P, and marginal trying
to run.

Q's about 150 down from last year.

FT-1000MP
AL-80b amp
"L" up 75' in a tree sloping down to 35' towards the SE.