[3830] CQWW CW SO2O(SQ2GXO) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, gxo@wp.pl
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW SO2O(SQ2GXO) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 16:08:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SO2O
Operator(s): SQ2GXO
Station: SP2FAX

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Kolaczkowo
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:  362    12       51
   80: 1016    23       70
   40: 1107    32      101
   20: 1452    31       91
   15:  215    27       73
   10:   39     9       24
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

First experience with SO2R technique (second if you count 30 minutes in LZDX one
week before CQWW)
Very simple SO2R setup with no bandpass filters and no 2x6 antenna switch.
Filters were not needed in most band combinations due to big distance between
antennas. EZMaster used as SO2R box.

Contest was great fun, and many callers helped to keep me awake most of the
time. Also 7h of sleep Friday evening just before contest was a very good
move.

Rates were so good that I didn't wanted to switch from Run into S&P mode.
I worked mults mainly on second radio (just do a quick sweep of 10m and 20m on
Sunday) and my multipliers number is really bad. Missed many many easy ones.
Made ~100 second radio QSO. Should have done more but many times I turned
second radio audio off to help me focus on main radio.

Conditions were very good, Kaz station potential is very high and I'm not
completely satisfied with the score. Also forgive me if I sounded as a LID - I
was just learning SO2R during the contest.

Small problems:
Fuse blob in one of the amps (lost 15 minutes to find and repair)
3 times computer restarted due to power supply issue - fortunately log
recovered fine.
EZMaster required restart 2 times to recover from some quirks

Big thanks to:
Kaz SP2FAX for letting me use his big station, fixing antennas, and setting up
beverage antennas
My wife Agnieszka SP2AGA for giving me 3 free days and staying at home with our
3 months old twin daughters.

Additional thanks to:
CT1BOH for great web page about operating SO2R
K5ZD for contest audio recordings which I listened driving to and from work for
two weeks before contest.

73,
Marek SQ2GXO

Radios:
FT1K (40m and 20m), K3 (other bands) and Semi-automatic PA's

Antennas:
160m - vertical
80m -4SQ
40m - 3el