[3830] CQWW CW NH2T(N2NL) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NH2T(N2NL) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:59:35 -0800

------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Spiderbeam @ 34ft
40m dipole @ 50ft
40/20/15m vertical (for SO2R)
80/160m inv-L/TEE (52ft vertical)
1000ft Beverages NE (NA) and NW (EU/JA)

What a contest!  Tons of fun - it was great to work many friends around the
world.  Multipliers are always difficult from the Pacific, so my goal was to
run, run, and run some more.  This was a new personal QSO best for me in a CW
contest.

Conditions were good, however the low bands were a challenge being so far from
Europe.  I really feel for the gentleman in Hawaii and Phil FO8RZ - where the
challenge must be exponentially greater.  Great stateside runs on all but 10m,
where no one on Guam even heard a single station in NA all weekend.

Europe continues to be difficult to work, with short windows of peak
conditions.  For many hours on the low bands I sat and listened to loud EU
stations working each other, yet got a CQ in the face when called.  I took
17-19z off both days, the middle of the night here and a good chance to take a
shower and get horizontal for a few minutes.  Europe was loud on 160 through 40
at this time but were completely unworkable since it was early evening there and
they were busy working each other.  Low band EU run from Guam: Find a hole, CQ
until spotted, quick burst of QSOs, frequency gets taken by someone in EU
working other EU, find a new frequency and repeat.  There were a bunch of
would-be multipliers, at least 10, that I called on 80 who simply did not hear
me.  The Beverages are a pleasure to have - but at times I feel I hear too
well, if that is possible.

In 1998-2000 when I was last on Guam, I made 36,000 QSOs.  Since my return in
June of this year, I have already made 25,000.  I'm having a blast, and it's
great to get on the air from the Western Pacific.

Great job to the single ops in Oceania - FO8RZ, KH6ZN(N6AA), KH7X(KH6ND?), and
those in New Zealand and Australia.  I heard you guys making QSOs everywhere
all weekend - what fun!

I'll be poking around in the ARRL 160 and 10m contests as KH2/N2NL, trying to
wrap up 9BWAS from Guam.  See you on the bands, and Happy Holidays!

73, Dave N2NL