[3830] CQWW CW K7IA SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K7IA SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 17:42:37 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SW NM
Operating Time (hrs): 21:52

  160:    9     7        7
   80:   36    12       26
   40:  122    24       58
   20:  254    24       79
   15:  120    23       48
   10:   20     7       10
------------------------------

All Search & Pounce (unassisted)

Better performance and results compared to last year, and total times on were
nearly identical.  Major equipment differences are loss of SteppIR yagi
"trombone" element for 30 and 40 meters (leaving only the SteppIR vertical for
40m) and recent upgrade from a 500 watt linear to one 3 dB better.  Who says 3
dB makes no difference?  Nice to be heard these days!

Separation of entry classes into assisted and unassisted categories has an
unintended down side.  Assisted ops may "pounce," but they certainly don't
"search."  A boon to them, of course, but in a way, at the expense of the
unassisted.  Here's how:  rare DX and valuable mults are easy to find and pile
on by unassisted ops.  With endless piles to service, DX runners feel no
urgency to identify themselves as frequently as in years past.  Thus, for the
unassisted ops, the problem becomes "who is everbody calling, and how long will
I wait for his callsign?"  I spent in excess of 10 minutes waiting in each of
many piles before giving up in the hopes those uncommon mults would become more
available at contest's end.  In some cases, my several minutes' wait was
rewarded with a callsign ID--someone I had already worked!

A suggestion of a few years ago needs to be considered now.  Logging software
can easily count the number of QSOs made without having first sent an ID.
Thus, a callsign ID could be automatically included in the usual "QRZ" after
the count reaches some maximum, say five.  Of course, there's always a way to
defeat such a system, and some ops will do it in the name of "saving time."
But I'll wager that most DX ops are simply too busy servicing the pile to have
a sense of how infrequently they ID.  The counter may help them, too.

Many thanks to CQ and to all of the worldwide ops who participate in this Big
One!

73,
Dan, k7ia