[3830] CQWW CW VE6TL SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VE6TL SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:24:45 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE6TL
Operator(s): VE6TL
Station: VE6TL

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Calgary
Operating Time (hrs): 32.5

  160:   79     6        5
   80:  128    16       19
   40:  155    17       37
   20:  749    26       80
   15:  315    23       41
   10:   50     9       12
------------------------------
Total: 1476    97      194  Total Score = 992,601

Club: ALBERTA CLIPPERS

Comments:

Wow was that fun!  Not sure where the propagation came from but I had fun on
every band, including 160 and 10!  I think I made more Q's on 10m than I had in
the previous 5 years (which isn't saying much), but it couldn't have been all
sporadic E as there was some east coast too (not to mention lots of South
America).  Highlights included working ZL8X on all bands but 10m, and C5A on
80m.  This was definitely my biggest contest effort yet - time wise and score
wise.

Friday night started out fairly well with a few JAs on 20m and then I quickly
moved to 40m, where Europe was coming in pretty well.  Later in the evening I
went to 80m and 160m and heard lots of signals.  My shunt-fed 40' tower worked
much better on 80m than the BigIR vertical (difference was actually making
QSOs), so I went with that.  The BigIR did better than the inverted vee on 40m,
so that was the antenna of choice for 40m.  And the shunt-fed tower worked great
on 160m, although I can't hear too well.  I stayed up until 2AM working 160m.

Saturday morning was full of Europe and I did mostly S&P to build up the mults.
 In the afternoon I went to 15m and found it really wide open, like I haven't
heard in a few years.  I tried 10m a bit and found a few Argentine stations
lurking, but not a whole lot.  So I decided to go back to 15m and run Americans
to build up the QSO count.  There was no QRM or QRN so it was a lot of fun.
About 5PM I got really sleepy and took a short nap.  I then tried working 40m
for a while and discovered that there was a high speed solar wind hitting us,
causing aurora condx.  So I packed it in about 10:30PM and woke up Sunday at
4:00AM.

Sunday at 4AM was hopping on 160m and that is when I was able to work some good
DX, like JA and ZL8X.  By about 9AM, 20m was hopping to Europe and I had some
nice runs.  By this time I had about 500,000 points and decided I would try for
a million!  Never ever been close before.  So I hunkered down (I believe the
expression is "gluing velcro to your pants") and stayed in the chair until the
end.  And I almost made it!!!  I was running JAs for the last 2 or 3 hours, as
well as Americans, and came close.  The signals were all very strong, whether
they came from JA or W/K and very little QRM/QRN.  So it was a lot of fun.  And
this time I was able to take full advantage of all the filtering with the
FTDX-5000MP, which really helped save my ears.

I'm sure I must have worked several "new ones" along the way, so I'll be
reviewing my log and sending out cards.

Thanks to everyone who answered my CQ and hope to see you in the next one.

Jerry VE6TL
Calgary, Alberta