[3830] SS CW K3NCO(@W3LJ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, marc.ressler@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3NCO(@W3LJ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 22:50:02 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3NCO
Operator(s): K3NCO
Station: W3LJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MDC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rig : IC-746
Antenna : Multiwire/Trapped Inverted Vee + Tuner

Soapbox : This was an HMO entry, the other side of which was an M operation.
        Every change of station meant switching cables to the MicroHam,
        moving the key line to the amp, changing the database to access
        the appropriate log, connecting/disconnecting to the spot node,
        moving the headphones, and switching antenna lines between rigs
        (this was a last minute bit where we had an RF switch and we
        needed to find a pair of short jumper cables - otherwise we would have
        been moving a cable between the two rigs. We had to select the
        appropriate rig in the MicroHam software as well as in N1MM and
        then set the appropriate baud rate (whew! Did I actually remember
        everything?). Operation was mostly S&P with some running on 80 & 15.

        Our hostess insisted on feeding us (together) dinner Saturday and
        Sunday, and brunch Sunday so a fair amount of time was lost there,
        but I managed to get my 15 hours in, obviously, the other side did
        not. The tuner was needed to operate on 40 and 80 (the antenna is
        cut for SSB). While there is a low horizontal loop for 40 and one
        for 80, they never seemed to listen as well as the inverted vee,
        so I used it for the entire contest.

        Missing sections : NWT, AB, and NE(!) This is what happens when you
        don't have spots - had no idea where these guys were, but figured
        with enough QSOs that I'd come across everything - almost did.