[3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K1LT Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 19:52:07 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Carroll, Ohio

  160: 0 !!!
   10:     0

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Last year in this august report I speculated that the era of "all
verticals, all the time" at this station might be near an end.  Well,
that era has ended.  About 90 minutes before the start of this year's
test I got 60 feet of free standing aluminum with a Cushcraft X7 on
top up in the air.  The SWR on 20 is high and shifted towards the less
useful end of the band, but the antenna does seem to work.

Actually I had the antenna and tower up in time for the last 6 hours
of the CQ WW SSB test, but I took it down last week to stick another
10 feet underneath.  Started that Friday afternoon and finished
Saturday afternoon.  Thanks to various MRRCers for selling me the
parts for this project.  Thanks for engineering school for the knowledge
to prove that the tilting scheme should work (so far).

Since I didn't make any arrangements this weekend for child care
coverage, I didn't expect to get to operate full time.  Furthermore, I
planned to get a full 8 hours of sleep to compensate for stress of
tilting (several times) hundreds of dollars and hundred of pounds of
fresh aluminum.  Still managed to log 22 hours of operating, although
many of those hours have 20 minute interruptions to handle various
child-related crises.  So 22 hours is probably more like 20 hours.
Nevertheless, my score is off less than one percent from my best in
2008.

The new beams works great for cracking unruly pileups for highly
sought-after Canadian sections.  Also, I could get a few answers to
CQs on 15 and 20, which is a first from this location.

I notice that two years ago I commented on all the QRP stations.  I
think there were even more this year.  Nevertheless, they were nearly all
quite readily copyable.  The bands were very quiet this year.

See you all on SS SSB if 10 meters opens up.

Equipment: K3, ETO 91B (thanks, Jeff)
160/80: 65' "T" with 80 radials
40: full sized ground mounted vertical with 32 radials
20/15/10: Cushcraft X7 @ 60'