[3830] CQWW SSB G0AEV SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB G0AEV SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 14:03:59 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: G0AEV
Operator(s): G0AEV
Station: G0AEV

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   10:  341    20       72
------------------------------

Not the entry I was expecting to make or the station I was planning to operate,
but ended up with a reasonable score using 'plan B'.

DX propagation was OK (though poorer than in recent weeks) but the big hit for
me was the lack of sporadic E or scatter to the south - for the first time that
I can remember I worked not a single Italian (no 9A, only one EA, one F, etc)
which was only partially compensated for by better than usual propagation to
the north.  Country total suffered as a consequence, I think.

DX was a bit strange - good to zone 26 and 29 but nothing in between in zone
28; good to zone 9 and a little to zone 5 but nothing in zone 8, good to many
parts of Africa but I heard nothing from zones 36 or 37 (no 5Z4EE here, for
example).  The one zone mult heard but not worked was B7P.  And there was the
now all too familiar frustration of hearing stations east of me working
inaudible JA.

I had 3 "openings" to North America on Sunday. The first around 13.45 after
working TF and calling CQ on a "dead band" I was rewarded by replies from VE1TK
and, 15 minutes later, WE3C.  Both strength 5, but no other NA signals heard at
all.  Perhaps multi-hop Es with very limited footrpint?  Nothing further in
this direction until 15.35 with weak signals from KM1W via side scatter at 250
degrees (he didn't hear me) - more the sort of thing I was expecting but again
no other USA was heard, not even the big multi-multi stations.  Finally I
worked K4ZW at 16.50: needless to say, nothing else from NA was heard then
either.

Finished the contest by picking up some more zone 9 countries.  Amazed at how
the ops at PJ2T and P49Y could hear me - they were only just audible here so I
must have been very weak with them and yet they heard me through noise from the
States.  In comparison I wonder what goes on at those 59 stations that don't
seem to hear me (and other callers) at all.