[3830] NyQP W2M M/MMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NyQP W2M M/MMixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 20:15:09 -0700
                    New York QSO Party

Call: W2M
Operator(s): AD8J W3NO AB2HG
Station: W2M

Class: M/MMixed LP
QTH: YATES COUNTY

  160:   60      5      0
   80:  133     95      0
   40:  128    138     28
   20:   94      6      0
   15:    0      1      1
   10:    0      0      0
    6:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
  222:    0      0      0
  432:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  415    245     29  Mults = 100  Total Score = 116,200

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

For the second year in a row, AD8J and W3NO drove up to the Finger Lakes from
Pittsburgh to a summer cottage on Keuka Lake to operate the NYQP. Our set-up
this year was essentially identical to last year, with the addition of an
inverted vee for 160. We arrived in Yates County late Thursday afternoon and
spent the evening setting up the actual station on the screened porch,
overlooking the lake. The average high in mid-October for Penn Yan is 59 and
the average low is 42, but unfortunately for the second straight year, we
didn't even come close to seeing 59 degrees. The cottage is not insulated nor
is there a fire place, so the temperature inside the cottage is basically the
same as outside. We hung plastic over the porch screens to keep the cold out
and whatever heat we could generate in. We had several space heaters and with
the PCs and rigs going 24 hours, we actually were able to maintain the
temperature on the porch in the low 70s during the contest.

We spent five hours Friday hanging inverted vees in the trees for 160, 80, 75,
40, and 20 at heights ranging from ~40-50 feet. Not less than an hour after we
finished the antenna work, the rains came and continued well into the night
Friday. The skies cleared up nicely on Saturday, but then the winds picked up.
Fortunately, the plastic we had hung held up nicely, and we were quite
comfortable in our "shack" on the porch.  The most uncomfortable part of the
weekend was when we shaved and showered, or fixed meals in the kitchen. AB2HG
from Rochester, who owns the cottage next door, once again joined us for
the contest, and operated on RTTY, while AD8J and W3NO alternated between CW
and SSB.

We were initially concerned that the activity of the new Dutch DXCC countries
in the Caribbean would create QRM from the resultant pile-ups, but we didn't
experience any real issues from the many PJ stations which spread out their
listening frequencies up the band. Activity this year seemed to be roughly the
same as 2009. The only disappointment was the lack of good runs on 75 phone
Saturday evening. We compensated for the lack of activity on 75 phone by
working more 80 CW.